Thursday, May 7, 2009

PEACH COFFEE CAKE

If you are cooking for your mother, mother-in-law, wife (or yourself) on Mothers Day, I hope you consider this recipe. Its humble title, “Peaches and Cream Coffee Cake” does not accurately describe it. The base is a vanilla cake, partially baked (25 minutes), then topped with a mixture of sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, chopped peaches, toasted pecans and a cinnamon streusel topping. It is then put back in the oven for another 35 minutes. It is divine!
2 and 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1 and 1/3 cups white sugar
¾ teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter flavored Crisco shortening
2 teaspoons baking powder
¾ cup milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
(1) 3 ounce cream cheese (room temp)
(1) 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk (NOT evaporated milk)
(1) 29 ounce can peaches well drained (reserve syrup)
1/3 cup reserved peach liquid
2 teaspoons cinnamon (divided)
1 cup toasted pecans (divided)
1/3 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
Preheat oven to 350° and spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with vegetable spray (set aside).

In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt; cut in the Crisco until crumbly. Remove one cup of these crumbs and set them aside. To the rest of the crumbs, add baking powder, milk, eggs and vanilla. Beat on medium speed two minutes. Spread batter in prepared 9”x13” baking pan and bake 25 minutes (cake will be only partially baked).

While cake is baking, beat the cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in sweetened condensed milk and peach juice. Chop the drained peaches and add them to the milk mixture. Stir in ONE teaspoon of cinnamon and half cup of toasted nuts (set aside).

Make the streusel topping by combining the 1 cup of reserved cake crumb mixture, ½ cup of toasted chopped pecans and ONE teaspoon of cinnamon (set aside).

After the cake base has baked for 25 minutes, remove it from the oven and pour the peaches and cream mixture over it, spreading the peaches evenly. Top the peaches and cream mixture with the streusel topping and return to the oven for 35 more minutes

NOTE: When cutting the Crisco into the flour and sugar, try to get crumbs as fine as possible. I use my pastry cutter to get most of it worked in, but then I use my electric beaters and it will turn the crumbs into a very fine powder, which is what you want.
NOTE: I have never tried to substitute butter for the Crisco in this recipe.
NOTE: This cake is excellent, served warm (or room temperature) with whipped cream or ice cream.

Happy Mothers Day to all of you Mom’s out there! This Sunday is also my birthday (my birthday lands on Mothers Day every 7th year), so it will be a great day for me too!

Peach on Foodista

26 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Coleen, happy happy birthday to you!! Many happy returns. May all the joy you give be returned to you 100 fold.

The side by side photos are amazing. I have those light bulbs in my kitchen (because they are energy efficient. They are nice. I never realized what a difference they could make in a photograph though. You've certainly done your research. Thank you so much for sharing!

Your cake looks FAB! Don't I just savor just about anything peach, and boy do I ever want that slice you have on your beautiful dish!

Good picture of the whipped cream, I might add. You may laugh, but I think it's hard to photograph well; mine tends to look like a white, indistinguishable blob.

You've made delicious fabulous!

~Carole said...

Happy Birthday, Colleen!

I so appreciate light box posts. You've encouraged me to get one going. I'll be sure to get the bulbs you suggest.

That cake! It looks so good. And, based on your description, will be on my list to try.

Donna-FFW said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you. Another recipe of yours I sooo must try.

Wanda said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY COLEEN!!!

Well...that photo was great and I agree with Kathy about the whipped cream...perfect...your recipes are always reliable and unique Colleen! Thanks!

Katherine Aucoin said...

Happy Birthday abd Happy Mother's Day Coleen! Your cake looks and sounds wonderful.

The light bulb change really did make a difference!

Cristine said...

Happy birthday and Mother's day! Great job on the lightbox. You are inspiring me to get my act together and make one! :)

And that cake... DIVINE! Definately going on my list of must make items!

Alisa@Foodista said...

Happy Birthday Coleen,your cake looks delicious!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to guide Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Netts Nook said...

Are you sure you took that picture it looks like it came out of a magazine. Just kidding. Great job sounds yummy. Happy Moms' Day Birthday.....

Linda said...

Happy Birthday! hmmm the cake looks yummy too!!

Gloria Chadwick said...

Happy Birthday and Happy Mother's Day. I'm loving the light box posts... learning so much. The peaches and cream coffee cake looks wonderful. :)

Kristen said...

Happy birthday Coleen!
As soon as I read the word peaches followed by cake, you had me. I'm on my morning coffee break as I type and that's what I want right now instead of my apple.

teresa said...

Great update on the photo box, I hope to have one of my own soon, so I'm loving the tips! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

This cake cooks like heaven, I can't wait to try it!

Heidi said...

Happy Early B-Day! Your peaches and cream dessert sounds great.

Debbie said...

Oh does that cake sound wonderful. Another recipe I would love to make. There is such a big difference in the lighting of the pictures. You are right...one has much more yellow in it. Amazing what a difference a different bulb makes. I'm getting curious about these light boxes now too! I saw that Donna has one also...

Debbie said...

Oh and Happy Birthday Coleen!!! Have a great day!

Be My Chickadee said...

Happy Birthday to my big sis. Your age is safe with me (until the big one next year...uh oh...guess I won't be getting any Peaches & Cream cake.) One of your grandkids would be a shoe-in for the next science fair if they leveraged your light box research. Great results. And your food TASTES as great as it looks and is always memorable. Happy Mother's Day & Happy Birthday.

Ingrid said...

It sounds divine Coleen!

Hope you have a wonderful, wonderful Mother's day and birthday!!!
~ingrid

girlichef said...

Awesome! Each photo looks that much better! I really want one now after seeing yours. The coffee cake sounds amazing-- and Happy Birthday :)

Cate O'Malley said...

Ouch on the $12 pricetag, but what a difference it made! Will definitely keep my eyes open for those. At least with the warm weather nearly here for good, I can take more pictures outside. Love daylight.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Food photography is such a wonderful challenge. I am always learning and growing.

I'm glad to see that you posted the light information. I had no idea you could use bulbs like that!

Lara said...

I hope you have a very happy birthday AND mother's day. I'm excited to give your photography tips a try. All of my lightbulbs must have yellow tints to them too, but I'd like to try those.

That cake looks so yummy!

Cheryl said...

Your photos are amazing and that recipe looks great as well! YUM

Kim said...

Happy Birthday!! I sure hope it was a good one. These lightboxes that you are Donna are creating are interesting. I'd like to get better pics too. I love the pencil jar. That is a really cool jar that the grandkids made. They did a wonderful job. The peach dessert looks so good that I could eat it up right now. Happy Mother's Day.

Judy said...

I love this peaches and cream cake recipe and am anxious to try it. You have the best recipes, Colleen. I bet your kids and grandkids come over all the time to get your good cooking.

BTW, my hubby and I are considering stockpiling the old incandescent light bulbs. The government wants to phase them out and make us buy the "energy efficient" ones that, when broken, give off radiation. You actually have to clear the house out if you break one.

Judy said...

Forgot to wish you happy birthday and happy Mother's Day. I hope someone will be cooking for you.

Monica H said...

Wow! Those new bulbs really do make a difference. We use reveal bulbs in our house and I think they're great for indoor lighting, but that daylight bulb actually does look like, well, daylight!

Happy Birthday Coleen- it's my brother's birthday too--14 years old. I'm giving him candy cake :-)