Monday, May 4, 2009

CROCKPOT TURKEY BREAST

WEEK DAY TURKEY DINNER!!
 


Have you ever cooked a whole turkey breast in the crockpot? I did, for the first time, this weekend, and I can tell you I will be doing it again and again. It was super tender without being dried out (in fact it was quite moist and flavorful) and it makes enough broth to make a wonderful gravy too!
5 pound bone-in turkey breast
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
3 stalks celery chopped
1/2 cup chicken broth
black pepper


The size of your crockpot will determine how many pounds of turkey you can cook. I've found turkey breasts weighing as little as 4 1/2 pounds and as much as 7 pounds.
 Wash and pat dry your turkey breast. Trim the meat so that it will fit into the crockpot ( I had to remove a little of the rib bones to get it to fit into my crockpot). Coat the surface of the turkey with minimal butter and rub the dry onion soup mix and pepper all over the surface of the turkey. Put the chopped celery into the bottom of the crockpot and add 1/2 cup of chicken broth. Lay the turkey breast (breastbone or skin side down) on top of the chopped celery. Cook on low for 5-7 hours (see notes below).
NOTE: You are going to be tempted to add more than 1/2 cup of broth to the crockpot, but do not. The turkey will produce plenty of liquid (for gravy) and don't worry about an over-powering onion soup taste, you won't even know its in there, but it really makes a great addition to the gravy.
NOTE: Everyone’s crockpot cooks at a different temperature, so you will have to decide how long you cook this turkey. We like our turkey to come easily off the bone, and that took 6 hours on low for a 5 pound (bone-in) turkey breast. Just start testing it after 5 hours.

This is a great (fool proof) cooking method for turkey breast. I can see so many uses for it like extra turkey if you are having a big holiday dinner, great for turkey sandwiches, casseroles, soups, salads, etc. Tons of possibilities, not to mention a great way to have a nice hot turkey dinner without heating up the kitchen.


33 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Now why didn't I think of this?! There's only the two of us and I typically only buy and roast the breast, but the crockpot is even a better idea! Recipe looks so good and one that I will do when we next have turkey. Like you, turkey is not just for holidays!

~Carole said...

I've cooked a turkey breast this way before, but it's been years since I've done so. You've inspired me to put it on the menu. My family will be thrilled!

Kristen said...

I never thought to cook turkey this way because turkey is so big...I don't know why I didn't think of doing it with just the breast meat? mmm - love it!

Donna-FFW said...

I am so making this this week so I have 2 questions.. breast side down.. so upside down did I read that right.. and did you have to thicken the gravy or is it fine straight out of the pot.. one more ? 6 quart crockpot, what size turkey, do you think?

Katherine Aucoin said...

What a great idea. Long live the crock pot. I never thought of cooking a turkey breat in the crockpot before. Now I am penciling this in on my things to do!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

I'm all for the Crock-Pot Coleen and this sounds like dinner one night this week because I'm really so busy this fits the bill perfectly.
Have I told you lately what a blessing you are dear lady? Mean it........

Steady On
Reggie Girl

girlichef said...

Yes! I bet the breast does stay nice and moist! We sometimes "roast" our turkey in one of those big roaster-type things...which I kinda think are just huge crockpots, so why not?! Sounds delicious...I'm in the mood for a juicey turkey breast now!

Heidi said...

I can't wait to try this one out! The onion soup mix sounds great in the mix. YUMMY :)

Joanne said...

I love crockpot recipes and this would make cooking turkey so much easier! If there's one thing I hate, it's dry poultry but the crockpot would never allow for that to happen.

Mommy's Kitchen said...

I have never tried turkey in the crockpot. I will be making this the gravy look so hearty and good. Thanks Coleen.

Jeff said...

My turkey breasts normally get brined and tossed on a smoker. I love using them for quick lunches however there are weekends I have zero desire to babysit a smoker. I never have thought of using a crock pot.

Nicely done!

One thing you could do for the crispy skin is toss it under a high broiler for a couple minutes before service.

Netts Nook said...

I love turkey but it does not love me but it looks like your getting your camera working well.

Romney Family said...

That is how my mom always did a turkey breast!! I love it cooked in the crock pot. My mom also puts the gravy packet(if the turkey breast comes with it) over the turey as well as it is cooking!!Jessie~from foodbringsfamliestogether.blogspot.com

Wandering Coyote said...

What a great idea! Thanks for this. I love using my crock pot, and I love turkey.

Carrie said...

Keep the crockpot recipes coming, so easy and so delicious!!

Your picture is beautiful! It looks like Thanksgiving!

Be My Chickadee said...

I used to do something similar with turkey thighs but I didn't care for all of the 'stuff' that comes with de-boning thigh meat. But a turkey breast? That's a wonderful idea. I will be looking for one the next time I'm at the market. Thanks for the great idea and your plate of food looks heavenly. I SO want those mashed potatoes & gravy!!

Debbie said...

I have seen a recipe for a crockpot turkey breast before but have never tried. I've been dying to though. I have to try it soon now! It sounds great since you mentioned it is very moist and not dry....

teresa said...

Oh my gosh, genious! I've never been a huge fan of turkey, but I bet when it's make like this it's delicious! I can't wait to try it.

Erin said...

I wish I could come eat dinner at your house! Looks delicious! And I'm always in need of quick recipes these days - or ones that can be prepared ahead of time - so I'll add this one to my list. Yum!

Judy said...

I am definitely trying this. I had thought about it before but just never actually cooked one this way. I am glad to know it turned out o.k. because we love turkey and I cook a breast often.

Anonymous said...

I did this one from allrecipe.com. You don't even need the broth.

Monica H said...

I don't usually make turkey out o fhiliday season, but this looks so good and sounds so simple I might have to do it!

Thanks!

jenn@slim-shoppin said...

I love crock pot cooking, its so nice to come home and dinner is done!

Thanks for sharing such a great recipe!

Kim said...

This looks like exactly what I want right now. I've been craving comfort food and the turkey looks like it turned out perfectly. I bet you can get a couple meals out of this recipe : )

Elyse said...

Whole turkey breast in a crockpot?! That sounds amazing! I can't wait to try out this trick. I love that I have my new crockpot, but I'm still trying to get used to using it. I think doing a turkey in there will be a great way to increase my crockpot skills.

Karen Brown Letarte said...

Coleen, this looks to die for! The dried out, stringy, and disintegrated crockpot chickens my mom produced back in the 70's have held a reign of terror over me since and I have been leery of poultry + crockpot ever since. I'll have to give this recipe a try and learn your secret to avoing that dread fate for the bird! I could eat a big plate of this right now! :) K

Rachel Page said...

Thanks for sharing this healthy and delicious turkey recipe.

S. King said...

My turkey is a 9# one. Miss judged the weight. What length of time would you recommend to cook it?

Coleens Recipes said...

To S. King: That is a huge roast, almost double what I recommend. I have no clue how long you would have to cook it in a slow cooker unless you debone it.

Unknown said...

Does the turkey have to be thawed??

Coleens Recipes said...

To Unknown: Yes, the recipe is for thawed turkey.

Marquita Brazil said...

Since I don't like celery, what can I replace it with ???

Coleens Recipes said...

TO MARQUITA BRAZIL: Just leave the celery out.