Sunday, May 10, 2009

CARAMEL PECAN PIE

This sinfully rich and heavenly caramel pecan pie will be a hit at your next potluck, trust me! Baked in a shortbread type piecrust, it is perfection. I like to chop the pecans fairly small so that it is easier to slice (and easier for kids to eat). It is the perfectly sweet ending to any special meal.

36 Kraft caramels (individually wrapped kind)
¼ cup butter
¼ cup milk
½ cup white sugar
3 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans
9" Shortbread pie crust (recipe below)


In a saucepan with a heavy bottom, heat caramels, butter, and milk over low heat (keep stirring) until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and set aside.
Stir together sugar, eggs, vanilla and salt; add melted caramel mixture gradually. Stir in chopped nuts and pour into unbaked piecrust. Bake in preheated 350° oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until crust is golden. Remove from oven and allow to cool until filling is firm.

SHORTBREAD PIE CRUST:
In large electric mixer bowl, mix 1 cup flour (spoon into cup and level off), ½ cup butter flavored Crisco, 1 teaspoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon of salt. Mix until crumbly. While mixer is running, add 2 tablespoons ice water, 1 tablespoon of beaten egg and ¾ teaspoon white vinegar. Beat until dough forms a ball. Use fingers to press dough into 9” pie plate (and up the sides). I use a two-piece 9” tart pan.

22 comments:

Katy ~ said...

Have mercy! Pure decadence!

Happy Mother's Day to you as well!

Barbara Bakes said...

My husband loves pecan pie. He'd be in heaven!

Donna-FFW said...

Quickie-- Happy moms day Coleen. Pie looks fantastic!

HoneyB said...

Looks delicious and I love the caramel! Happy Mother's Day!

Cristine said...

Sounds amazing! Happy Mother's Day!

girlichef said...

Wow, caramel and pecans, sinful for sure! And delicious :) Happy Mother's day!

ilcucchiaiodoro said...

wow how nice your blog. It compliments

Judy said...

Pecan Pie is my favorite pie in the whole world and this one looks absolutely wonderful. Happy Mother's Day to you, too.

The Cooking Photographer said...

Colleen, this is such a nice take on a traditional pecan pie. Can I just have a little slice? Or two? ~Laura

Monica H said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Hope you have a special day.

Linda said...

Happy Mother's Day to you too!

Bunny said...

This looks WONDERFUL!!!! I have caramels that I bought and didn't know what to do with, whooo hooo now I can!! Happy Mother's Day!!

Be My Chickadee said...

Best birthday wishes & Happy Mother's day, too. BTW, I made buttermilk biscuits yesterday & my husband doesn't ever want another Pillsbury frozen biscuit now! And I made the crock pot turkey breast - oh wow, excellent results. And in the paper today I saw that Kroger has them on sale!! I also made mushroom burgers & home made buns. Buns were hilariously shaped but tasted so good & the burgers were wonderful. The peaches & cream cake is for later today. You're keeping me busy!! Happy birthday - Debbie

Wandering Coyote said...

First of all, Happy Mother's Day to you!

And...that tart looks heavenly!

Carrie said...

This looks delicious! Happy Mother's Day to you Colleen!!

Heidi said...

Happy Mothers day! I wish someone would have given me a slice of that today! If I ever visit Alaska I'm hunting you down and begging you to cook for me:)

Kim said...

Hope you had a very happy Mother's day! The pie looks great.

BreeAnn said...

Happy Mothers day AND very very happy birthday wishes Mom, we all love you very much.

jwright said...

I work at Bass Pecan Company we are having a pecan recipe contest.
Enter in a chance to win $1000 at our website www.basspecan.com

Leslie said...

This looks divine with its shortbread crust!!!

Kristen said...

You had me at 'carmel' 'pecan' just sealed the deal!

Ingrid said...

Oh, geez, please, please can I live with you or atleast be neighbors. I'm a great dishwasher and cleaner upper! :))

Yum, seriously what's not to love about this?
~ingrid