Tuesday, May 26, 2009

BREAD MACHINE CINNAMON ROLLS (and a Thank You)

Until I started digging through my old recipes for this blog, it never occurred to me how many recipes I have for hubby’s sweet tooth! It has been quite an eye opener. Here is yet another favorite. I tried to make cinnamon rolls out of bread dough for years with minimal success. They were always tasty while still warm, but got “tough” when they cooled off. The addition of egg, makes all the difference. This recipe is very good (warm or cold) and it’s made in a bread machine, so it is as easy as it gets.

¼ cup water
¼ cup butter, melted
(½) of a 3.4 ounce box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup warm milk
1 egg room temperature
1 tablespoon sugar
½ teaspoon salt
4 cups bread flour
1 packet of yeast (I use 1 tablespoon)

FILLING
¼ cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon
¾ cup chopped pecans or walnuts

FROSTING
½ of an 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ teaspoons milk

BREAD MACHINE INSTRUCTIONS: In pan of machine, mix water, melted butter, pudding mix, warm milk, egg, 1 tablespoon sugar, salt, flour and yeast. Set machine on dough cycle and press start. When dough cycle has finished, turn dough out onto lightly floured counter and roll 17” x 10”. Spread with soft butter. Mix brown sugar, cinnamon & nuts and sprinkle over dough. Roll dough up (start with long side). Slice into 16 one inch pieces and place in 9x13 buttered pan. Let rise in warm place until double (about an hour). Bake in 350° PREHEATED oven for 15-20 minutes. Take out of pan and frost with cream cheese frosting.

NOTE: I don’t own a bread machine, so I do this the old fashioned way and it works great. I don’t cut 16 one inch pieces, John likes thicker rolls, so I cut about 8-10 of them.

18 comments:

Katy ~ said...

I never tried the chipotle sauce for the same reason; too much leftover, so your tip is much appreciated. Coleen, you come up with some of the best hints and helpful tips. Thank you!

YUMMMM, cinnamon rolls!

~Carole said...

Katy is right - you are full of great, usable tips.

I could go for one of those cinnamon rolls with my coffee right now.

Donna-FFW said...

Oh Coleen. I packed my bread machine away already for my move, but I am certainly, certainly trying this one when I get it unpacked at my new home. They look beyond delicious!

carrol said...

Please check out the blog mentioned below its really cool....!!!im sure you'll love it!!!

www.stay-sharp.in

girlichef said...

The kiddos were just asking me for cinnamon rolls this morning...wish I had had some of these on hand. I think it may be time to dust off that bread machine in the basement.

Leslie said...

I have never made cinnamon buns at home before. I guess I better get a move on it!

Debbie said...

Thanks for the tip Coleen. I also think I may need to invest in a bread machine. I have seen several really great recipes on different sites using these machines. Those cinnamon rolls look great!

teresa said...

YUMMY! These look fantastic! Thanks for doing your research with the seasonings and chipotle. It's so helpful because I'm clueless when it comes to that kind of stuff!

Wandering Coyote said...

The pudding mix in the dough is also a stroke of brilliance...I bet that keeps them nice and moist, too. There is something totally magical about pudding mix! I'll be bookmarking this recipe for sure.

I bought a can of chipotles in adobo, too, and as I don't like super-spicy food either, I wrapped each pepper individually in saran wrap and put them all in a freezer bag, then froze them. Worked well.

Heidi said...

These look heavenly Coleen!

Lara said...

pudding? I've never seen that in a bread recipe before, but I'm intrigued to try it. That picture has made my mouth start watering!

Ingrid said...

Thanks for the tip! Wish I could have been more helpful!

I'm gonna get my nerve up and make cinnamon rolls one day.. soon!
~ingrid

Kerstin said...

I like thicker rolls too - they look amazing!

Monica H said...

I was thinking about giving up my unused bread machine but kept it specifically for this reason. Thanks for posting it!

Kim said...

Wow - look at those cinnamon rolls! Those are one of my childhood favorites. They are on my list of yeast breads to make soon.
On the chipotle peppers, we have tried them twice. We love spicy, but do not care for them. Mine were so smoky they tasted like an ashtray. But, if you like that thing I hear that you can also freeze them forever. Good luck with them.

♥Rosie♥ said...

Coleen, what a wonderful recipe for my bread machine! Love your cinnamon rolls!!

Elyse said...

Oh how I wish I had a bread machine. These cinnamon rolls look divine. Your hubby is one lucky guy!

Shelly said...

I have a bread machine I rarely use. Guess that's about to change! These look awesome!