Friday, April 17, 2009

APPLE TART

There is nothing quite as American as apple pie, isn’t that the old adage? I started experimenting with apple pie recipes many years ago because it is one of my husbands favorites. This recipe is pretty easy, as pies go; it has a no-roll shortbread type crust and you pre-cook the apples so they bake quicker. I like this recipe because it makes a pretty presentation and it is baked in a two piece tart pan, so you can just life the tart out of the pan and set it on a pretty serving plate.



CRUST
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup butter flavored Crisco
1½ teaspoons white sugar
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup ice water
1 egg
1½ teaspoons distilled white vinegar

With your electric stand mixer, mix the flour, Crisco, sugar and salt together. Add the ice water, vinegar and egg, beat just until smooth. Divide dough in half and pat one half into the two piece tart pan, pushing it up the sides, to the top of the pan, set in the fridge for a few minutes. Cover the other half of the dough while you do the apples.

APPLE FILLING
Peel and cube 5 granny smith apples. Boil them in some plain water for about 4 or 5 minutes until they just start to get tender, then drain well. To these apples, add:
½ cup of brown sugar
½ cup of white sugar
¼ cup of white flour
¾ teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
Stir gently until everything is wet, set aside.

Roll out the second half of the dough and cut into narrow strips. Put apple filling into tart crust and dot with 2 tablespoons of butter (tiny little dots). Lay the crust strips over the apples. Brush the strips with egg wash (1 egg beaten with a little water). Sprinkle strips with a light dusting of white sugar.

Bake in a pre-heated 375 oven for 40-45 minutes or until the crust strips are nice and golden. Let the pie cook to room temperature before you try to remove it from the two piece tart pan.

NOTE: You do not HAVE to pre-cook the apples, but if you do it this way, you will not get a soggy crust, or have any loose (watery) pie filling.
NOTE: If you do not want to do the whole roll out strips on top of the pie, just mix the following ingredients and sprinkle it on top of the apples and bake the same way.

APPLE CRISP TOPPING (ALTERNATIVE)
¾ cup brown sugar
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup quick cooking oats
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
1/3 cup butter softened

23 comments:

Donna-FFW said...

The real deal .. love this.. The crust sounds so easy, as do the apples, yet totally homemade. I will be trying this, with ice cream of course.

girlichef said...

This is beautiful...love it in the tart shell. I would eat it with parmesan shaved over the top...delish!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

You're killing me Coleen.....every day I think wonder what Coleen's cooking over in Alaska and I'm never disappointed.
I think that I'm becoming addicted to your blog lady.....wonder if there's a group meeting for that, lol :)
Greetings from Newnan, Georgia and.....

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Barbara Bakes said...

This is so gorgeous! I would love a piece of breakfast!

Cheryl said...

OHH my gosh my husband would adore this, I am going to give it a try even though I am afraid of pie crusts!

Cristine said...

Looks so yummy!!!

And, yes, I used dry breadcrumbs! Thanks for stopping by! :)

Ingrid said...

I'm not crazy about apple pie but one of my twins is, maybe I'll have success with this and be his hero for the day.
~ingrid

Sara said...

This looks so delicious. My apple tree will start producing tons of apples in a few months, I am saving this recipe!

Kristen said...

I just posted how I'm terrible at making pies, you are an inspiration to me to keep trying

teresa said...

Just lovely, I love apple pie too, great idea!

Heidi said...

Congrats! You won a Betty Crocker Cakes mini-cookbook. Please email me with your info so I can get it sent out to you :) heidiheidiheidi@yahoo.com

Judy said...

My favorite apple pie recipe calls for cooking the apples twice, also. I do them in a skillet with the spices, flavorings, butter and sweetener(s). I remove the apples as they get tender and lay them on a cookie sheet to cool. The juices that remain in the skillet get cooked down to a syrup which is poured over the pie. When all that cools, it gets baked in the pie crust. It is absolutely delicious with such depth of flavor. Cooking the apples twice instensifies the flavor of the apples.

Monica H said...

I've never had apple pie in a shortbread crust. Myhusband loves apple pie. I'll have to make this for him.

I've also never heard of pre-cooking the apples. Good idea though because I hate water apple pies. It makes the crust soggy after the first day. And who likes wter logged pie? Yuck!

Wandering Coyote said...

Beautiful and simple - I love it!

Carrie said...

It looks beautiful you did a great job with the lattice top!

Van Santos said...

I'll say this, as sad as it is, I've never like apple pie and I'm a guy raised in the mid-west. I'm not sure why!

I'll say this, tho, the lattice work you did actually made me want to give it a try.

Elyse said...

Mmm, this tart sounds delicious. I love a good shortbread crust, and you're right: there's something so patriotic about an apple pie-type dessert. I'm sure your hubby totally loved this pie!

Debbie said...

Your apple tart looks wonderful. I love the lattice top. I have to try that sometime when I get up the courage...never did a lattice top!

Ginger said...

Coleen would you please consider send a piece of your Apple Tart my way??? I am (really) serious, that looks like it should be in the case of a famous bakery!!

Katy said...

What a great blog with fantastic recipes!

I LOVE apple pie. This one looks very good indeed.

Thank you for sharing!

Linda said...

Looks good enough to snatch right off the page and eat it!

Katie said...

That looks SUPER DELICIOUS!!

Linda Sztanko said...

Was browsing for a great homemade recipe for apple crisp.. Thank you Coleen.. my family went wild on this. I am sure I will be trying many more of your recipes in the future...
Linda (Welland, ON, Canada)