Sunday, March 22, 2009

HONEY-WHOLE WHEAT-OATMEAL PANCAKES

JUST IN TIME FOR SUNDAY BREAKFAST!
These pancakes have a wonderful honey-whole wheat flavor that you are not going to get out of an instant "white bread" pancake mix. This batter mixes up in just a couple of minutes, using every day ingredients. I hope you try them.

1 egg
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup quick cooking oats
¼ cup white flour
¾ cup milk
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon honey
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
In medium size bowl, whisk the egg until it is lemon colored & a little foamy; whisk in the milk, oil and honey (*see note). Add the flour, oats, baking powder and salt; whisk just until everything is well mixed (don‘t over whisk). Let batter sit for about 5 minutes before cooking.
NOTE: Use a scant 1/3 cup of batter for each pancake.
NOTE: The honey will want to “stay together” and sit on the bottom of your bowl, so make sure you completely mix it into the milk BEFORE you add the flour and oats (that way you won’t over mix the batter).
NOTE: I find that pancakes cook best on a pan that has been sprayed liberally with vegetable spray and then wiped out with a paper towel.
NOTE: You can add ½ cup raisins to this batter if you like raisins. Plump raisins by pouring a little boiling water over them in a small dish and let them sit for 15 minutes then drain well and add to batter.

18 comments:

girlichef said...

Hi Coleen...thanks for stopping by my blog! MMMMM...pancakes are just what I need with my coffee right now. The pottery made by your hubby is amazing!!! Love it :)

Donna-FFW said...

Coleen- These look sensational , LOVE different types of pancakes!! Id love some with my coffee!! Pretty please?I left you some awards on my blog, come and pick them up:)

Carrie said...

I love the notes you add to your recipes, so helpful!
These look fabulous! I love thick sweet pancakes!

SUGAMAMA'S CAFE' said...

Yeppers right down here on the peninsula~ great looking breakfast...

Wandering Coyote said...

These look simply amazing!

Wandering Coyote said...

I just made these for breakfast and they were superb! Thank you! I'll have a post up about them on Tuesday and will link to this post!

MaryBeth said...

Congrats on the award....Your pancakes looks so thick and fluffy. Simply perfect!

Barbara Bakes said...

I love pancakes and these look so big and fluffy and yummy! Thanks so much for the Friends award!

Debbie said...

I will try them. They look very good and seem to be healthy too. LOVE the butter spritz cookies. I have a major weakness for cookies!

BreeAnn said...

Yum, honey wheat is one of my favorites

Elyse said...

Mmm, honey wholewheat sounds so delicious. I love the idea of these pancakes, and that stack in the picture is just calling my name. Oh, I wish I had time to make these tomorrow morning!

Emma said...

Thanks for the fun award. Your blog is great and full of yummy looking recipes! These pancakes look amazing.

Lara said...

Oops I didn't notice that my daughter was logged in. The last comment was really from me. :)

tshsmom said...

I came here via ReTorte. Thanks for posting this great recipe! You're right, those are ingredients that I always have on hand.

Monica H said...

Those are so incredibly fluffy- I am in awe!

Sam said...

Yummy! What a GREAT looking breakfast! This sound so delicious, fabulous! I like different types of pancakes. Can't wait to see your posting, my mouth is watering. Thanks so much for sharing.

"Kay0sK" said...

Those look good :)

Monica H said...

Hi Coleen,

Just wanted to let you know that I made these for brunch today and they were delicious. I topped them off with a homemade blueberry sauce- great combo.

Miss you and hope you're having a great summer!

Monica H