Tuesday, March 31, 2009

CLASSIC PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES



I've been making these peanut butter cookies for over 40 years; they are my husbands all time favorites.  I've made them so many times that I don't even need to open the recipe book anymore.  They are foolproof and VERY easy to make.

Preheat oven to 375°
In large mixing bowl with electric mixer, beat until smooth:
1 cup butter flavored Crisco (no substitutions, see note below)
1 cup peanut butter
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar

Once the above mixture is smooth, add 2 ½ cups flour, 1½ teaspoons baking soda and ½ teaspoon salt. Mix well. Cookie dough should be moist and hold together easily when you squeeze a hand full. If it seems a little dry or crumbly, add a couple tablespoons of water.

Roll the dough into balls about the size of walnuts, and then roll the balls in granulated sugar. Place on UN-greased baking sheet (about 2" apart) and flatten with fork tines in criss-cross pattern.

Bake for 10-12 minutes at 375°; cool on parchment paper.

NOTE: Cooking time depends on how large you make these cookies. Dough balls about the size of a walnut, bake for 11 minutes in my electric oven.

NOTE: The original recipe called for butter (instead of the Butter Flavored Crisco). The Butter Flavored Crisco makes a much lighter and crispier cookie than butter (and still provides the buttery taste). Butter will give you a very dense and heavy cookie.

19 comments:

girlichef said...

Peanut butter cookies are one of my all-time faves, too! These look might tempting.

Wanda said...

Peanut Butter Cookies are a favorite here too Coleen... grandkids especially like their's with Reese's Cups on them...I just mentioned it in my last post...You have many recipes I'm going to try...first will be your fruit ladder recipe this weekend!

Katherine Aucoin said...

I bet when your children come by for a visit, it wouldn't be home unless that jar was filled with PB cookies.

They look so good and thanks for sharing the recipe!

Netts Nook said...

What a great peanut butter cookie they would be gone before the picture at my house. Wheres the milk.Great Pictures.

Be My Chickadee said...

Ah, I am so comforted by the cookie jar on my sister's counter (yes...I have 'food issues'). One favorite memory was with yummy chocolate brownies all neatly separated by slips of waxed paper. I knew then you were in a cooking league all your own. The peanut butter cookies are an all-time favorite for me, too. Thanks for sharing the B.F.C. secret, too.

biz319 said...

I love using butter flavored Crisco - and I agree that it gives cookies a flakier, yet still buttery taste! :D

hrgottlieb said...

If you have an interest in selling cookies or cookie dough for a fundraiser there is a website called Easy Fundraising Ideas that has about 10 different Cookie Dough Fundraising programs and they don't cost anything to start.

teresa said...

Oh these are the best cookies! I love that you keep a full cookie jar on your counter, what lucky kids!

Cheryl said...

YUM, my favorite, in fact I have not made them for awhile, I better get on that!

SUGAMAMA'S CAFE' said...

I love glass cookie jars! I love peanut butter cookies!
Yours look perfect.....

Ginger said...

I love a homemade peanut butter cookie in the morning with my coffee. Yours look really really YUMMY!! I love the cookie jar. I love glass cookie jars where you can see the cookies. I need to find one of those. Thank you for sharing...

Carrie said...

My husband is a sucker for peanut butter desserts, these cookies are his favorite!!

Lara said...

We love peanut butter at our house too. I've never tried a recipe with shortening and peanut butter...I'll have to give it a try!

Becky said...

I love these cookies.I should write the recipe down, cause its just a bit different.Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

They look just yummy... we love peanut butter cookies too!

and since when do you need an excuse for a yummy cookie?

Donna-FFW said...

Classic cookies are so the best, and peanut butter is one of my all time favorites..

Kim said...

Oh yes! One of our favorites also. My favorite cookie to make at Christmas is the peanut butter blossom. I'm sure you've seen the pb cookie with the hershey kiss in the middle? Love it. My daughter and me could eat the whole batch. Yours look great.

Elyse said...

I love that this cookie jar has been on your counter for the past 20 years. How wonderful that you still keep it full. I need to get a cookie jar and keep it full! These PB cookies look divine, by the way. I adore a nice thick and chewy PB cookie. Can't wait to try out your recipe.

Stephanie said...

There is nothing more inviting looking than a jar-ful of homemade cookies :)